Low GI Honey Walnut and Pear Salad
This salad is so delicious, you’ll make it a regular a lunch, or even as a starter at dinner.
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 bunch kale (roughly 6-8 cups shredded) . or spring mix if you prefer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ -½ radicchio, grated
- 1 thinly sliced pear
- 2 tbsp shaved pecorino or parmesan cheese
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch cayenne
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nut oil (hazelnut or walnut)
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
For the Walnuts: Preheat oven to 350˚F. On a parchment lined cookie sheet drizzle the walnuts with the honey, cayenne, salt and water. Toss to combine and bake for 12 minutes.
To Cook the Lentils: Bring a 3 cups of water to a boil in a med pot, add the lentils. Be sure to use a large enough pot as the lentils will double or triple in size. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer until they are tender. For whole lentils, cook time is typically 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
Make the Dressing: Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake. Set aside.
- Shred the kale and place in a large bowl, drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil over the shredded kale and massage for 1 minute until the kale has softened.
- Add in the radicchio, lentils and sliced pear. Add all of the dressing and toss to combine.
- Divide salad into 6 bowls.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese and serve!