Orange Butternut Soup
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- 1 kg (2 medium) butternut, peeled and cubed
- 2 large green apples, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 185 ml red split lentils
- 5 ml curry powder
- 1 large orange
- 150 ml low-fat plain yoghurt
- unseasoned pumpkin seeds
- Pour vegetable stock and water into a large saucepan.
- Add the butternut, green apples, onion, lentils and curry powder to the stock and cook over med-low until tender (about 1 hour).
- While soup simmers, grate the orange peel, then cut orange in half and squeeze out the juice.
- Set both aside.
- Cool the soup slightly and then puree it to the desired consistency slowly adding the orange juice, adding a little milk if it is too thick.
- Serve with a swirl of yogurt (15 ml or 1 tbsp per serving) and a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds and a dash of grated nutmeg.
Serve with a single slice of grainy bread. Look for whole grains, and not whole wheat with choosing a bread.