Sweet Asian Chicken Salad
Serves 6 (pack it for lunch or have it as dinner)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 30 ml peanut oil
- 30 ml sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1–2 red or green chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 cm fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 75 ml red wine vinegar
- 75 ml water
- 6-8 cups assorted herb salad leaves
- 1 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 yellow pepper
- 30 ml dark soy sauce
- 30 ml honey
- Marinade: mix together soy sauce and honey.
- Place chicken in a non-metallic bowl and pour the marinade over it. Toss the chicken well to coat it and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 15 ml of the peanut oil and 15 ml of the sesame oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the chicken and stir fry for 5–6 minutes, until cooked through and browned. Remove it from the pan and allow to cool.
- Add remaining oil, garlic, chilli and ginger to the pan and fry, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan for 3–4 minutes until the garlic starts to brown.
- Stir in the vinegar and water, then bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Toss lettuce, cabbage and peppers together.
- Arrange the salad mixture on plates, top with the chicken strips and spoon the warm dressing on top.
- sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!